Thursday, May 11, 2006

Tom Petty Returns to Hogtown?; Peter Bogdanovich Documentary in the Works; Tampa Show, in '05, with the Black Crowes


Will Tom Petty do a 30th anniversary concert in Gainesville, where he started his rock and roll career in the Hogtown band Mudcrutch?

That's a rumor buried deep in Chris Morris's story (online at the Billboard site) about a forthcoming documentary on Petty. The film is now being shot by Peter Bogdanovich, the masterful film director (The Last Picture Show) and ultimate film buff.

The movie promises to be great, and I'd definitely get in the car and motor up to Gainesville, home of my alma mater, the University of Florida, if that show indeed takes place.

I have fond memories of dozens of Petty shows over the years, including one last June at The Ford Amphitheatre in Tampa, and another concert or two long ago at the old Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg.

Petty (thanks, Tom) includes my Billboard review of that '05 show on his official site. In addition to hearing great music at that concert, which featured the mighty Black Crowes as opening act, I got to take my son, then 9, to his first full-fledged rock and roll show. I wonder if he'll remember this when he grows up?

As far as that proposed Hogtown show -- The waiting is the hardest part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home