Friday, May 12, 2006

Response to Jacqueline Q's comment on Akeelah

I've heard great things about 2002's Spellbound, although I've yet to see it (it's on my list).

But that documentary tells the story of eight different kids from around the U.S., as they variously move toward a big bee, right? Akeelah and the Bee tells a different story altogether, from what I understand.

Speaking of Spellbound -- It always bugs me when filmmakers re-use titles of well-known films. Alfred Hitchcock's movie of the same name, made in 1945, starred Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman.

An even worse violation -- This year's surprise Oscar winner for best picture, Crash, has the same title as a 1996 David Cronenberg film starring Holly Hunter and James Spader. (Cronenberg is on record as not being happy that his title was borrowed).

Do these filmmakers presume that nobody will remember that there were earlier films bearing those titles?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home