Friday, May 12, 2006

Michael Bolton Swings Sinatra? Seriously?


The forthcoming (May 23) release of Bolton Swings Sinatra, a CD on the Concord label, provoked a storm of, well, mostly, laughter on the Jazz Programmers list-serv.

Ross Gentile, host of “Standards in Jazz” on WSIE-FM in Edwardsville, Ill., had this great story to tell about the reaction he received to some short on-air previews of the disc:

"I don't know how the Sinatra estate could ever put its blessing on this, as is stated in the liner notes! Right now, Sinatra in heaven is vomiting every meal he ever had at Patsy's. Where's Jilly when you really need him!

I did a segment on my show yesterday in the 5 PM hour -- "Fun with Michael Bolton". I played about 20 seconds of each track of the CD on the air. The lines to the station were jammed for a hour for me never to play that CD again!

It makes a fun bit on the air! Trust me. Every call I got from listeners -- They were laughing.

With all of the bad news on the air, from the Middle East to gas prices, etc., this was a breath of laughing gas!"

I guess I'll withhold my judgment until I actually hear the thing. But, you know, WHY? Hasn't this guy inflicted enough musical damage?

What's next, Madonna Maims Monk?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home